Outreach & Ministries
At Lake Washington Christian Church, we are concerned about social justice and are actively involved in helping those-in-need. We participate in both local ecumenical community organizations and worldwide missions. These include:
- Kirkland Interfaith Transitions in Housing (KITH) – 4-6 times a year LWCC provides and serves supper to low-income area residents, and each year LWCC sponsors a family at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Kirkland Interfaith Network (KIN) – LWCC participates in CROP Walk, Book Drives, Holiday Fair, and other KIN sponsored events.
- Disciples Mission Fund – The Disciples of Christ Designated Special Offerings provide funds for the work of our denomination, such as Week of Compassion, New Church Ministry, the NW Region, DOC affiliated Colleges and Universities, Global Missions, and more.
- Hopelink - LWCC supports their work through Back-to-School collections, Food Drives, and more.
- Lake Washington Human Services – LWHS offers hope to individuals and families through affordable, confidential, professional, and secular counseling services. LWHS is a non-profit agency supported through private donations that allow the agency to offer a sliding fee scale structure for anyone needing services. If you know of anyone who would benefit from the services of LWHS they can call 425-803-0907.
- Evergreen Hospice – The Piecemakers make quilts that provide warmth and comfort to those with a life-limiting illness.
- Children’s Hospital – Through the baby blankets and quilts that are donated, the Piecemakers pass along hugs to the children.
- Linus Project – The members of Purl Jam are “blanketeers” and provide blankets for children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or in need.
… and much more.
- Prayer Chain Ministry - The LWCC Prayer Chain is a vital ministry in the life of LWCC. This group of committed people provide prayer support through intercessory prayer. All prayer requests are kept confidential. To have a request put on the prayer chain you can contact the LWCC office.
- Lap Quilt Ministry - The Piecemakers' mission is to provide warmth and comfort by making and donating lap prayer quilts to the congregation and others when they are hurting or ill. “May the one who receives this quilt be cradled in hope, kept in joy, graced with peace, and wrapped in love.”
“I remember when the warming oven was set on high instead of low and all the taco shells were burned black. We had to scramble and reheat another batch... It was a good thing that the turnout was lower that week or we would have been in trouble. Also, I always am amazed how grateful and polite the people are.”